Monday, January 13, 2014

What a Week!


The mission is hard. I have never felt so much power working against me in my life. As a missionary, you need all the encouragement and support you can get. Oh man. This week has been like ten years and a day, I swear!!! Isn't that just crazy how seven days can go on forever? It's because mission bi-polar syndrome is a real thing. Honestly, this week was a real test of my faith. I have never had so much opposition from different churches. 


THE BIBLE BELT IS NOT A JOKE!


Let me start at the beginning, huh? 

So, my companion is a rock-star missionary. Literally, she has a powerful voice and isn't afraid to talk to anyone about the gospel. And it's great, but I have been trying to find how I can add to the companionship. I could sit there as a bystander and the lesson would go great. Well, not true, but it is easy to feel that way.

So, I had my first missionary exchange. I was so bummed because I needed to work in my area. I didn't want to leave and go to some random place. But I went....and it turned out to be a miracle day for me.

I went to a place called Murfreesboro, with Sister Lamb. We worked with the YSA ward there. She had been really struggling with her companion I guess, and was growing less and less confident in her teaching skills. So, we went into a lesson and I could tell how nervous she was, and hesitant, and quickly would jump through things. I just went for it and tried to expound on the Plan of Salvation. I felt so needed in the lesson, and even though she has been out longer than me, she looked at me because she wanted me to help her teach. I realized that I knew more than I had thought. By no means was it perfect, but I didn't even know I could say that much.

We left that lesson and I asked her, "How do you feel that went?" She said, "Okay..." I looked at her and screamed, "THAT WAS AWESOME!! YOU DID SO GREAT IN THERE." And just built her up with all my might. Everyone here tells you things you could improve on, but sometimes people just need a little positive feedback, no matter how bad it went. And before we went into our next lesson, I told her, " I can feel it. You just got to let loose and go in there and be the best Sister Lamb you can be." It was a powerful experience for me because I realized that somebody needed me, and maybe I did have a purpose here.

When I got back to Mt. Juliet, another interesting event happened. We prayed to know who we should go visit--the name Anita came to my mind. I told that to my companion and she had the same feeling. While walking there, in a hail storm, we saw two men outside of a Baptist school (I am so glad that I didn't know that before I went up to him to pass out a card talking about Jesus Christ). He proceeded to tell us that we were Satanic and on and on. He felt so bad for us that we believed in a different presence and had been tricked. WOW. Mind-blowing. I just told him straight-up, "Have you ever read the Book of Mormon?" Of course he hadn't and said he wouldn't. I said, what if you tried to read just one chapter with as much of an open mind as you can muster. He agreed. And I don't know what happened after that, but Anita wasn't home, and I know we were lead that way to talk to that man. As he was telling me all of these things, I knew in my heart that I was not filled with Satan. If that was the only thing I knew, it was that.

And then we went and taught a lesson to members of the Church of Christ who asked us deep doctrine question after question. My companion and the member that was with us answered all of the questions really well. I felt so inadequate and so unprepared. I couldn't even chime in, and when I got home, I couldn't help but cry. I don't mean to sound sad or depressing. I wanted to open my mouth. I should have. I learned that I NEVER want to let that happen again. I am here for a reason, and I need to add my testimony in lessons.

Well, to end of this week facing opposition, last night we were invited to share what Mormons believed at a Bible study for the Church of Christ.....What IS MY LIFE!!!! Haha, My companion and I prayed so hard, and fasted the day before to prepare for this. And I am so happy to say that we went in there, and we shared the message of the restored gospel. I felt the Spirit burning inside of me giving me courage and peace to share my testimony. I looked at a crowd of 15 adults and recited the first vision. It wasn't me who did that. I couldn't have done that on my own. I am so grateful for the help I was granted that the Spirit worked through the room. They all looked at us after and had a respect for what we believed and invited us back, and took Book of Mormons. Way more than I could have ever asked for. Honest, truth seeking people who told us they admired our desire to share our love for Jesus Christ.


 MIRACLE MIRACLE MIRACLE MIRACLE!!!! 

I gain a testimony every day that the Lord knows me so well. Nashville was the perfect mission for me because if I can hold my faith here, against all those who tell me everyday that I wrong or crazy, than I can hold it forever. I am grateful the testimonies of my family and my parents and my brothers. I am grateful that I have been able to see God's hand in my life and hold on to what I know and pray to open my mouth. Pray for me. It was a great week. We had seven investigators at church! It was so cool. Look up the Vision of the South. It is so inspiring. 

I love you all! 

_______________________________________________________________________

A  lLITTE  LOVE  note  from a MOM to her  DAUGHTER





No comments:

Post a Comment