Monday, January 6, 2014

Nashville, Week Three--or, Pooh Happens




WARNING: Pooh ahead. I would say don't step in it, but that would be an inappropriate play on words for a missionary mom. Tatum has a way of giving each experience meaning. Even the "yucky" ones. Gotta love it.

There are actual photos today! (Except for a few that I added. I couldn't resist.) 
__________________________________________________________________________


Wow, this week has been a crazy week. Not a normal week. On Monday, for P-Day, we went to downtown Nashville, with an investigator named Sydney. She is awesome! She is actually the first person I ever talked to in Tennessee, and she is pretty much a Mormon, but doesn't know it yet. haha. I LOVED Nashville. My adventure instincts exploded and I was overcome with happiness. It says HONKY TONK everywhere!!!!" 

My first companion, Sister Kate Hargadon

Nashville with Elvis, and our investigator, Sydney

Ha ha, I forgot what the real world was like. Man, and I got to eat . . . guess what . . . DEEP FRIED OREOS!!! Boo yah!!!



They are delicious, and so bad for you, it's not even funny. But I relished in them like that was my last meal. 
And then Tuesday, we had to come in early because of New Years Eve, so I got to sit and contemplate about my year. I realized that 2013 was probably the best year of my life. Literally, lucky 13. I was blessed with so many great things and adventures. I think 2013 was a year of self-discovery for me. And I am determined to make this year even better, because I get to take all I learned and use it to help other people. So here we go!
Then, Wednesday was SUPER P-DAY! Which means, I got to sleep in. The one day of the year. I could only make it to 7:30 . . . what is the mission doing to me? Ha ha it was great though. We got together with the whole zone and played soccer, basketball and got to watch Monster's University. I must be getting really sappy, because that movie inspired me. I told my companion, "We are going to be the best team, just like Mike and Sully. Just you wait!" I also got to go to Good Will. Never been there until my mission. It is my new favorite place. It is so cheap with vintage MODEST church clothes. Oh my, I got two solid skirts for a dollar each! What is my life?  I have been there like three times now. ha ha. This email does not sound like I am on a mission. Oh boy.
Hermana Kara Winder and Hermana Casey Schmidt

Anyways, when we got back into the swing of things, teaching and all, I realized that I might have what I call, "Mission Bipolar Syndrome." One minute you feel confident in your knowledge, or your testimony and then next minute you are doubting everything. It is so weird. I have never felt this way. I really believe that Satan works on the missionaries. Man, it bothers me so bad. Like, why I am feeling this way? Why do I feel all of this opposition against me, trying to shut my desire down, my belief down, my hope down, my VOICE down?  And it is easy to fall into. I just pray so hard for the Spirit and for comfort and for a conformation that all of the things I have trusted my whole life are true. Missions are hard because they are mentally tough. I am responsible to inspire and teach people. I used to be the one to sit and listen to those trying to inspire me. And now that is my responsibility. I have to find the way I teach. I have to find the way I touch people. Oh man, it's a journey . . . .but guess what, I AM ENJOYING IT!!!
Not Ingabrit! llustration added
(by mom) for entertainment
 purposes only. 
There are some really happy, happy times. I am loving the scriptures. Oh my, and I realized that I connect best with crazy old ladies. I don't know what it is about me, but I get so excited and intrigued when I talk to them ha ha. It is probably because I want to be one. There is this lady named Ingabrit, and she says her mind so loud no matter what. It IS SO GREAT!!! Once she saw this lady, and turned to me and said in a direct tone, "That lady has got the Spirit in her SO STRONG. Is she a recent convert?" I told her she was, and she yelled to the lady, " You have got such a strong spirit." 

Now that is my kind of people.


I thought I should tell you guys that I stepped in pooh this week . . . yep. Since you loved when I did it in Paris, I thought you would love when I do it now. Ha ha. It happens. Afterwards, I was hiding in a bush trying to get it off while my companion was knocking on a member's door for dinner. That was an awkward dash to grab the hand-sanitizer.  Pooh moments--gotta embrace them. 


That family was freaking awesome! They lived in the Laie townhouses growing up too! So they made me Kailua pig, musubi, Panipopo (She spelled it panipoo poo first, so I had to edit.) and Haupia pie. Can you believe that? My stomach was happy!

 People in Tennessee are the greatest. Nuff said.


Oh, and this Sunday, two people, Micheal and Sherry came to church. One is a less active, and the other is an investigator. I have never felt to much push in my heart for someone to like church and to have a good experience there. I had never considered how weird or different our church could be from someone else's. Ah, I just wanted them to like it SOO bad. And to feel the Spirit SOOO bad. My heart was pleading in prayer. And it was testimony meeting, so I was hoping nobody would say anything offensive. I don't know, it was a whole new experience. And I was so happy they came. They are such awesome people, and the Spirit is so strong whenever we teach them.
Also, guess what? It is freezing here. It is colder today in Tennessee then it has been since 1996!  School is even shut down because there was a wind/rain/snow storm last night. We weren't allowed to go home until 9, but we weren't allowed to drive either. I was so bundled up, with sweats up under my skirt, and we pretended like it was the last night of our missions. Freezing for a purpose. I thought people would let us in, or be like, "Wow, you must really believe this gospel to be out here teaching it in this crazy weather." No, the opposite. Everyone thought we were nuts. Literally nuts. They yelled at us, "Are you guys INSANE!!! Get inside!! It is an emergency weather alert. Get home quick. Stay warm. You are going to get sick." I heard it all. I was pleading that 9 would come sooner. It was hilarious.

But on the bright side, I met a lady who knows PETER FRAMPTON. They are Facebook friends and he lives in Nashville. Who woulda known? I am going back to her house. Anways, fun times in Tennessee. Hard week. Good week. I can never decide because I am Mission Bipolar at this point. I feel like the mission is doing so much good for me though. It's exposing my weaknesses so I can use the Lord to make them strengths.

 I love you all. I pray for you all the time. Please keep writing me. It means so much to me. Could you send me inspiring talks from general authorities. I try to read a talk a day and it helps me a lot. I would love to hear cool stories of faith and encouragement. I love you so much. I am so blessed to have the best family in the world! Stay safe. 




This is for the boys!

This is proof that my companion looks like Jessica Biel



No comments:

Post a Comment