Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Louvre

What is the right way to describe my life in Paris?

Right now, my life mostly consists of class, church, homework, and exploring France. And sometimes I plan trips to places like Switzerland and London.

But hey, that's not that cool, so no worries. In fact, sometimes I have to go ALL the way to Louvre for my Fine Arts class.

Okay, but for reals, this is my favorite class!! It just started this week, and I LOVE IT!! Our teacher takes around different parts of the Louvre and teaches us about the paintings. There is nothing like learning from the art standing right in front of you. Plus, our teacher asks really direct questions, that make you think very deeply about the meaning of the piece.

Walking into the Louvre for the first time...OH MAN...gave me chills. It actually hit me hard that I am in Paris. I am in the Louvre. I am having class in the Louvre.

It is crazy how many people are there all frantically trying to take pictures and get close to some famous paintings. The best part of the class is that not only am I learning things that otherwise I never would have known or appreciated, but I am learning how to think it through and judge it for myself.

It was also pretty amazing, because we got to see some awesome stuff made my the Ninja Turtles. I got to see some statues made by Michelangelo. I got to see some paintings done by Leonardo Da Vinci, and Raphael.

The most famous painting I got to see was the Mona Lisa. I mean, WOW. WOW. WOW. WOW. My eyes are beholding the craziest things, and my mind just can't take it all in. It wasn't programmed to do so, I don't know. And in front of it was a MASS of people. Just a huge group all swarming to take a picture of the painting.

I just thought about all the famous artists we worship today, and wondered if they ever could have imagined that their art would have had such a big impact. People travel from all over the world to see the Mona Lisa and so many other art works in the Louvre. Did Da Vinci know that hoards of people would stand in front of his paintings in the year 2013? I BET NOT!!

It just blows me away. So many of the paintings I have seen in textbooks over and over and over. But this week, I actually got to see them. I never would have thought I would get to see them in real life. It is just awesome. Too cool, and I actually get to do it for school!

All of us crowded in the elevator. 


I am inside the famous triangle!

And then I am free after class to walk around the streets of Paris. Today, actually I ate lunch in the Tuilleries Garden, looking out at the Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triomphe. I'm pretty sure my life can only go downhill from here!





Oh and then I walked around and found the statue dedicated to Joan of Arc.


As well as a cool church...and you know why it was cool?

Because there was a bird flying around the ceiling! It was sweet! I just followed the bird around and pretended like we were friends. It was so random, but I took it as a sign. It made my day watching it go all around the church. Man, gotta love Paris!

Sadly, after that we headed home to grocery shop and do some homework.
Homework is just the most inconvenient thing. There is too many things to do. Too many places to see. Too many memories to be made. There is no time for homework.  But hey, I guess if it's the price I have to pay to be here, I will do it.




1 comment:

  1. AWESOME! I love this post! I had to rush through The Louvre when I was there. I'm so glad you get to take it in and really enjoy and learn from it.

    ReplyDelete