Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Tennis Junky

Well, when I woke up this morning, I never would have guessed that by the end of the day I would realize that I am a Tennis Junky. I don't know if that's the correct spelling, but let me explain...

So, my friend Shelly and I, both love tennis and purchased some cheap tickets to the BNP Paribas Masters Tennis Tournament that is going on right now in Paris. I thought it would be cool, and that our nosebleed tickets would give us a fun story to tell, that's all.

After class, we hopped on the metro to the Bercy Tennis Courts and by 12 pm, we were at our seats. The courts our indoor, and actually, the stadium isn't that big. So, we could actually see the court super well. And boy oh boy, I can't believe how much fun I had.



The arena is dead silent while the ball is in play. Back and forth. The sound of a ball being hit correctly, is like music to my ears. The players make it look so graceful. The judge in the middle says the score in French and then in English. Ah, and the audience is just so cool. I loved hearing them start the slow clap, and doing the wave. I guess those signs are a universal thing. They would yell for their favorite French player, and then every time, perfectly, the whole arena would get completely silent.

The judge would politely say, "Sil vous plait." And mass silence spread instantly. Then he would follow with, "Merci!"

Ah, it was the best. My favorite was when the score was at Deuce. In French you say, "Egalite" (with an accent on the e.)

First I watched Michael Llondra (FRA) verses Grigor Dimitrov (BUL). After three sets, Dimitrov won.





I was so into it, that in between matches we went and bought more tickets for tomorrow. I have lost my self-control with money and I love it. First time in my life. I worked hard for a reason though, right?.

Then, I watched P. Andujar (ESP) verses Vasek Pospisil (CAN). And again after three sets, Andujar won.



Now, by this point, I thought I would have been bored. I mean, I don't even really know these players at all, but quite the opposite happened. I was mesmerized by the ball, and the atmosphere. I was doing the good ole Tennis clap, and ohhing and ahhing with the audience. And when the third match started, with the light show, and the music playing to welcome in the players, I was just jittery with happiness.

This match was Fernando Verdasco (ESP) verses Richard Gasquet (FRA). I was actually a little bummed that this was the last match I would get to watch because I had to make it home in time for dinner with my host mom. The whole crowd started getting more wild with more and more people filing in. They kept shouting, "Richard, Richard, Richard."



After 6 hours of watching tennis straight, I was not ready to leave. It surprised me. I felt like I was addicted to tennis. And the whole time, I was fantasizing about two new goals I have:

1. Save enough money one day and take my parents to a major tennis tournament somewhere in the world. I want it to be my treat and to enjoy some good ole tennis.
2. I want to become a ball girl. Yes, I know you have to be twelve. They just look so cool with all their hand signals and dancing on the court. They are like a little Tennis Army.

So, I promise, that one day, I will do at least one of these two things. And a promise is a promise.

I am sorry if I sound crazy, and irrational, but everybody needs a little crazy once in awhile. I just feel like something awakened inside of me. Something that never wants me to be sad again. Or maybe, it's something that will let me turn back the clock, so that I can be the best 12 year old ball girl the world has ever seen.


P.S. Even the birds love Tennis...


(One of them flew into a huge cord and the match stopped....haha feathers were flying everywhere. And yes, to answer your question...the courts were inside. )

1 comment:

  1. YAY! How fun. You discovered your passion--to be a ball girl. ha ha The pictures are so cool. I love the lighting. I laughed when you said you are losing your control of your money. At least you are spending it on important things. All that saving was worth it. So proud of you and happy for you.

    ReplyDelete