Friday, October 18, 2013

My Last Moments of 18

Wow. I have exactly 30 minutes left of being 18. And who knows if by the time I finish this post, if I will have any moments left.

It is kind of a weird feeling...sitting in my room as the same Tatum, but not. I am in Paris, France for goodness sakes. Looking at my life year ago and picturing the next year of my life...IT FREAKS ME OUT!

And do you guys want to know how I spent my last day as an 18 year old?

I hung out in the Musee D'Orsay after my fine arts class. I got to see paintings by Renoir, Monet, Manet, Gauguin, Cezanne, Van Gogh, Seurat, Degas...I mean the list goes on and on. It was totally awesome.

I actually got really into the Van Gogh paintings. I never really thought much about him before, but seeing his paintings in real life..ahh! They leap off the page with the thick dense brush strokes. I fell in love with one called, " Fritillaires couronne imperiale dans un vase de cuivre." I'm not sure the name in English, but I bought a recreation of it. I splurged and treated myself to an early birthday present.

Then, I got a baguette and cheese and ate it along the Seine River.

My roommate Alyssa needed to find shoes, so on our search for some boots, I kinda sorta bought myself a leather jacket. But it is fine because it is just an early birthday present...

At 4 o'clock I went on a boat tour along the Seine. Oh my, it was awesome! Fastest hour of my life. I think it was so cool because it was a different view from the river. And we got to learn more about the history of very famous buildings. Man, really you can't go wrong with a boat tour. Best thing ever. And once again, I actually got suckered into buying the photo that the professional photographers took of the group. I am calling it my souvenir to remember my friends on my mission...or maybe an early birthday present....

For dinner, we hit up my favorite crepe place. Yummy! Ratatouille crepe with a sugar and cinnamon crepe for desert. It is just so fun laughing with friends. The people really do make an experience. They are so nice about my birthday coming up.

Then, for the finale of finale's...we went up to the top of the Arc de Triomphe. There aren't words really. Pictures can't capture it and words can't describe it. Pure awesomeness comes pretty close. The city is just constructed so perfectly with all the streets leading up around the Arc. Oh my, and you have a perfect view of the Eiffel Tower. And when it starts sparkling...that is one thing I have seen many times and never lost appreciation for. It was crazy though to think what a perfect way to end my last day as an 18 year old.

And to think a year ago I could have never imagined that in a year:

1. I would have got accepted to go on a Study Abroad to Paris, France. (Let alone be in Paris for my next birthday. )
2. I would have been able to serve a mission.
3. I would have my mission call to Nashville, Tennessee.
4. I would have a great first year of college.
5. I would have made some of my best friends.
6. I would have watched the whole series of Lost on the couch with my bros.
7. I would have gone to Switzerland.
8. I would have sat in a class in Paris with poop on my shoes.
9. I would have gotten my wisdom teeth out and cried like a baby.
10. And that I would have gotten to stand on top of the Arc de Triomphe and watch the Eiffel Tower sparkle.

I definitely have a lot to be thankful for. It is crazy to think back and realize all the times that I was stressed and worried about my future. I had no idea what to do with my life last year at this time, but somehow things came together for the best. It gives me hope that if I keep working hard with a good attitude somehow everything will work out.

And hey, this is my last minute of being 18!!!

Opp...its gone. I am 19 in Paris, France. My host mom just came in my room and wished my "Joyeux Anniversaire."  My very first French birthday wish. Feels good to be 19!


2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Tatum. I stopped by to see how you're doing in Paris! You're having some fabulous experiences and it makes me want to be there too.

    Pat--your mom's fellow teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there's Pat! My favorite person to share a classroom with. Tatum she is super chic and savvy--hippest teacher on campus, and she drives this powder blue convertible, and takes her students to swim in her pool during finals. She also spent the summer in Paris and has friends who live in your neighborhood there (see how hipster she is). She is a great writer and is writing a book set in Paris, so she means it when she says you make her want to be there.

    Happy birthday. I loved this post. What a great moment to capture. It was a lovely reflection of your transition year, and a poignant reminder that you never know what's up ahead. It could be something amazing--especially at your age. I wish I could stand on top of the Arc de Triumph and watch the EIffel tower sparkle. And I LOVE Van Gogh too--so many vivid colors and scenes. I love the one you mentioned too and almost bought it last Sunday to put in the house. I will just frame yours until you get settled. ha ha

    Have a great day. We are missing you on this day. It was good to skype with you, even though we could only see you for most of it. ha ha You look beautiful. How was tennis?

    ReplyDelete