Thursday, October 3, 2013

D-Day

There is nothing like waking up super early, chilling in the metro with a load of stuff, and catching a bus to Normandy in front of the Eiffel Tower.

On the itinerary for today, our class was going to visit the American and German cemetery memorials for the D-Day invasion. I wtas pumped, especially it is something my dad had always been passionate about. I couldn't wait to honor the dead who had fought in World War 2.

But you know what I didn't know?

I didn't know that THE AMERICAN GOVERNMENT HAS SHUT DOWN!!!

What the heck? I leave the United States for a month and it all falls apart. Sheesh, I'm sure you are all wondering how that connects to my previous thought. Well, it does. BECAUSE the American government can't decide on a budget, the American Cemetery is closed....

I'm in France! Freaking France and I am still affected by the choices of the United States...ahh I was literally mad. Like really? Oh man, what are the odds right??

Which means I didn't get to go to the site that is dedicated to all the American soldiers that died on D-Day....bummer! But hey, sometimes you just have to change to Canadian!





It was actually really cool. Each grave had a message written on it from the family of the soldier who died. It was very peaceful, with fields surrounding it. It really made World War 2 very real to me. 

 Next, we drove to Juno Beach where there was a D-Day museum. I ate an awesome Tuna Panini and ate it on the beach. Best way to eat lunch!


This is the wreckage of the Port that was built in less than 2 weeks after the D-Day invasion to supply the troops with food and other resources. It was a massive engineering feat. Pretty neat stuff. 


Playing in the beach in Normandy! 



This was the museum we got to go into. I loved the presentations I got to watch because I learned a lot about the invasion, and gained a lot of respect for the soldiers that died that day. I can't imagine the warfare that went on, and the amount of courage it must have taken to fight in battle. 

It was a really touching moment. I have more to say, but it's late. And I am exhausted! I will finish the day another time! Good night from Bayeux!

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it just ridiculous! You must have been stunned. I can't believe you are feeling it all the way over there.

    ReplyDelete