Monday, October 7, 2013

Changing my Perspective

Part 2:

After I got back from Normandy, I found some pretty great boots! I bought myself some boots! Finally! I have been avoiding it because of the cost, but I scored a pretty big deal and just did it. I gave up on thinking too hard, I just went for it. And instead of hunkering down for the night, we had some energy from sitting on the bus for 5 hours. So, I put on my black boots, and went out to the city for some fun.

There was a festival going on called "Nuit Blanche" so everything was open later. The streets were really busy with people. I ate dinner at Chipotle (yes, they have one of those) and had some Haagan-Dazs for desert. This is the first meal I have eaten that I actually recognized the name of the restaurant. It felt great!! Mexican food really filled me up! Like too much....ahh but so worth it!

By this time, we decided to find the famous steps that are in the movie, "Midnight in Paris." They are right by the Pantheon, and on the steps of the church of St. Genevieve. Which is actually the spot where Paris started thousands of years ago. Across the street there were pubs filled with people. We wanted to be there for midnight. My first midnight in Paris. Cool right??

Actually, I was a little bummed about the whole thing. I mean, I watched a girl throw up on the side of the road because she was so drunk like 5 minutes before midnight. Creepy guys came up to us and said stupid stuff. Teenage boys were playing a game of "Hot Cigarette." I made up the name, but it's pretty much "Hot Potato" but with a cigarette. This lady who we asked to take our picture, said the word "Sex" instead of "Cheese" to get us to smile. I just got caught up in all the people's actions around me.

I guess, I imagined the clock to strike 12, and the city to radiant brilliance. To change into this romantic scene before my eyes. The whole movie moment. Ah, it was more like a trash can moment. But hey, I was there. Midnight in Paris. We wandered around town and ended up by the Notre Dame. The streets were alive but I wasn't loving it. Everyone is drunk and it's out of control. I am sick of guys saying perverted things.

We finally headed home at like 1 am, and the first thing I saw in the Metro was a man, bent over, with throw-up in between his legs, with a phone in his hand, yelling in French at someone. The paramedics showed up trying to help this disoriented man. It was just sad. I was totally caught up in all the dirt, and smells.

I don't mean to sound negative or unappreciative...just keep reading.

Sunday morning, I woke up and got ready to go to Mass at the Notre Dame Cathedral. Walking in I was a little nervous trying to figure out where to go and if there would be enough seats. We waited in this enormous line outside the Notre Dame and I was thinking "Oh shoot, ofcourse, I bet Mass is SUPER crowded here. I should have come earlier. This is the most famous Cathedral out there!"

When I got in there, there was a little bitty part of the Cathedral at the top of the Nave that was taped off for Mass. All those people I saw, were just tourists. There was definitely more tourists than people at Mass. Easily!! And I was surprised because that is the whole purpose of a Cathedral. But it has become more of a historical monument now.

So Mass started. I was a little overwhelmed. It was a totally different environment than I was used to. It is nothing like the Mormon church. The priests wear green or blue robes, that I'm sure have some specific purpose, but I don't know what it is. It is more ritualistic, and I just tried to copy people because everyone else seemed to know what was going on. And they sung back and forth with the congregation. I mean they were awesome singers! I laughed at the thought of my past bishops trying to sing to the congregation. At first I was weirded out by it, but by the end, I loved it. I got super into it. It was like a whole different world opened before my eyes.

My favorite part was when something happened (remember this is all in French so it is harder) but everyone started shaking hands and thanking Jesus Christ. All the people around turned to me and shook my hand with a smile, like a little blessing of good will. I admired the love that was spread around.

I'm really glad I went. Just because it was different, doesn't make it bad. They are all there to show their love and devotion for God. And who am I to judge them for that?

And since I was in a Notre Dame kind of a mood, my friends and I decided to climb to the top of the Notre Dame. And man, oh man!!!

Funny story: We had to wait in a HUGE long line. And there is this guy that runs around the Cathedral in a mask scaring innocent people. And you know me, I thought it was hilarious. I was just watching him for awhile and laughing at everyone's reactions. But, I got sidetracked. Just talking and talking and BOOM!!! What do you know?? There was a creepy mask face in my peripheral vision. And yes, I did scream. And yes, I did jump back. And yes, he did scare the snot out of me!!

Going up to the top was exciting.



But I didn't realize how awesome it would be.



Literally, Paris finally made sense to me. I am a very visual learner, and everyone talks about directions like I am some sort of map or something. But finally, I was able to see the whole city. It was at my fingertips and it finally MADE SENSE!!! I know that I am a slow learner okay, but it was a great moment. I could name most of the buildings I saw. I felt powerful up there, not so afraid of the world beneath.



Look at all the little people down there!






The biggest thing the view did for me, was give me a new perspective. I felt so bogged down by the constant metro dirt that would take me underground and pop me out somewhere. I don't know how I got there, I just transferred lines. But up here, I saw the city in a whole new light. I appreciated all it was.



I thought about life. Life comes with dirt. Life comes with creepers.
But life also comes with beauty. Light. Laughter. You just have to pick what you want to take out of life. And anyways, it's a lot more enjoyable to take on life in a Notre Dame sorta way, than a Paris metro kinda way.


1 comment:

  1. Amen! Awesome post!! Awesome lesson!!

    P.S. Your word verifier said Easterz. ha ha ha How appropriate.

    ReplyDelete