Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Stinky Shoes...

Alright...so everyone, get ready for the story of your lives. Okay, maybe not that much excitement.

Today I had my French class at 9. Just a regular day right? Wrong! I start smelling something awful. The girl next to me goes, "Do you smell that?" And the search begins. No one else could smell it except for the two of us. My shirt wasn't the issue. Her shirt wasn't the issue. Hmm..I was confused. Class started and my mind was focused on the french being stuffed into my small brain. Somehow my name tag at the front of my desk got knocked to the ground, and I used my foot to swipe it closer to me. When I picked it up, I smelled it and saw POOP on my name tag. What the GROSS!! My next response was to look at my shoes and NOOOOO!!

In America, it would have been embarrassing but hey, at least I could ask my teacher just fine in English to leave the class. You know, I probably should have planned for this occasion and learned how to say, " Madame, my shoe has poo on it. Can I please go and clean it off my shoe?" Or if that was to hard, maybe even learn the word for POOP. I mean it was my favorite word in middle school. I'm surprised it didn't just come to me in French.

Well, the class is 4 hours. And we don't have a break until halfway through the class. So...the 2 hours of excruciating smell and embarrassment began. It was like time hit SLOW MOTION.

When it was ten minutes til the break, I was feeling pretty good. Until my teacher had each student get up and put on the map where they are from. I panicked, and slowly slipped off my shoes.

When I the break FINALLY arrived, I grabbed my shoes and tried to run like a mad woman for the door. My teacher stopped me, asking me so many questions about Hawaii. In my head, I was thinking "I am carrying POOP. Please, this is not the time!!"

Relief came as I washed off my shoe. Phew, what a day! What a day! Everyone laughed and laughed. I was just glad my shoe no longer smelled. But it was soaked because I had to wash it off with water and soap.

I walked barefoot back into class and the teacher got so excited and started asking me ALL ABOUT how Hawaiians don't wear shoes around. In French she said "Is that why you are not wearing shoes?" Everyone laughed. I just said "Oui" and smiled. There was no way I was about to explain what just happened.

Here are the pictures of the shoes:

Clean and Poop-less

Anyways, sorry for that long story and hopefully I didn't gross anyone out. Luckily, the day actually got a lot better after that. A few girls from my group and I went down to Les Arenes de Lutece. It is a stadium that excavators dug up in the 1860. They believe it was from the time when the Romans occupied France 2,000 plus years ago. 

On our way there, we passed by a small park that just grabbed my eye. I loved the simplicity that still held such a majesty in its presence. It isn't famous and to be honest I don't even know what its called. 




It is just a staircase across the park. But so green and lush. And of course, I have a thing for flowers. I loved it as soon as I saw it. I realized that sometimes things are famous, or big, or expensive or well known. But at the end of the day, its the simple things in life that matter the most. And these are the things that make you the happiest. I could stare at it ALL DAY! I wanted to jump in and be a flower on that wall. 


Here we are just chilling like its no big deal to touch ruins over 2,000 years old!



This is inside the Arena. It is now just a park where people come to play soccer and other games. The French kids liked to tease us and yell out the English phrases they knew. It was so cool to see all these kids out here just having a pick-up game for fun. 

The boy in the picture was my favorite because I got up the courage and said, "Comment tu t'appelle?" Which means "What is your name?" You probably are laughing, like how lame is that. But to me, it was a success. His name is Demetry, by the way:)



Well, if this isn't the longest post ever, I just have to add the fact that: 

I HAD ESCARGOT FOR DINNER TONIGHT! I loved it! So delicious. 




I was surprised how much I liked it. Seriously, if there was one thing that I could go on and on and on and ON about is the food. Everything is better here. Even the American things that I have tried are somehow modified into great works of art here. Man, and its all healthy too. 

I never know how to end this...but for know... A Demain!




1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, your host mom is putting me to shame. What a gorgeous meal. Give her a hug from me. So funny about the pooh on your shoe. ha ha I'll have to read this to the boys. I guess sometimes everything really does come down to pooh.

    So true about the simple thing in life. I love it when I find places that I connect to for unknown reasons.

    Such a great experience you are having.

    ReplyDelete